Tuesday, June 22, 2010

these days

November through June hold a lot of "days" for our family.  HoliDAYS, birthDAYS, Mother's/Father's DAYS.  Once we make it through June, it's like a sigh of relief for a few months. 

Perhaps you think I jest. 

Our "immediate" family, both sides, consists of 20 people.  All but ONE of those birthdays fall within 7 months.  Those 7 months also contain the majority of holidays as well.  We eat a lot of cake and buy a lot of gifts.

This week is our sigh of relief.  My birthday, my nephew's birthday and Father's Day have just passed.  The weekend was a bit of a whirlwind, but a fun one it was.  Friday night was a "Girls Night" with my playgroup mommies, most of whom I've known for many years.  Three of us have June birthdays and so we celebrated sans children.  Put 10 mommies at one table, without their children, and you have a lot of laughter and fun!  I love these ladies.  I've been mentally composing a blog about them and the place they hold in my life.  It's coming soon.

Saturday morning was a 1st birthday party for my nephew, aka "Baby Bird"--it was his birthday too!  We walked to the park where the party was held.  Have I mentioned I love our neighborhood?
Baby Bird loved his cake!  He is quite the spitting image of my brother as a baby.  (and yes, he's quite a tank too!)


While at the park, we took my obligatory birthday picture.  I always want a picture with my family on my birthday.  I'm weird like that.  I guess I just like to mark the day and what we all looked like.  I turned 33 by the way.
Miss Rose has become very adept at smiling nicely, and then making a silly face just as the camera goes off.  She thinks the camera is catching her smile!  I had to take a photo three times the other day just to get her smiling.

We had a few hours of reprieve Saturday afternoon and Bean sent me off for a manicure and pedicure.  It was divine.  I think all women should have the option of a mani/pedi for their birthday.  I've been blessed with strong nails that grow long when I take care of them, and right now all but one are nice and long!

Then it was off to take Miss Rose to a birthday party.  Perhaps the favorite birthday party she's been to because part of the party was stuffing her own animal, something she's never done before.  Twinkles the dog is the newest member of our family.  While Miss Rose was partying and stuffing, I did a little shopping for Father's Day.  I scored with See's, but the shorts I bought were returned.  Shopping for man is even harder than a woman, in my opinion!

When Miss Rose and I got home, Bean had my favorite BBQ take-out ready at home.  Oh it was YUM!  I'm not a huge fan of BBQ, but this homegrown place, I love.  The sauce has some spice and tang to it that balances the sweet very well.  I was in the mood for lemon meringue pie for dessert, quite a deviation from my usual favorite chocolate cake.

Sunday was church as usual, then a fun family outing for Father's Day that included a park visit, ice cream before dinner and a fountain.

 Although so many {days} all together can be tiring, I do love the togetherness it creates.  I love making the memories and new traditions.  Life moves so quickly.  I'm glad when we have the opportunity to swing, eat ice cream and put our feet in fountains.

Because these are the days.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0