Thursday, June 17, 2010

I love Thursdays. But I don't.

Just getting to Thursday is often the goal of this busy, working mom of three young children.  After working Sunday to Wednesday; after returning to church Wednesday night after a full day of work there, I need Thursday.  The start to a few days off from work. 

I love Thursdays.

Thursday means I don't have to get out of bed until 6:45am.  I can drive Miss Rose to school in my pajamas and I don't have to get the little girls dressed either. Breakfast can wait until we get back home.  I can sit on the couch and cuddle with Gracie after Lily goes down for a nap (like I'm doing right now).

I love Thursdays.  They are for my family.  They are for my kids.  We call them "Mommy days" as in the day that no other adult is responsible for you, besides Mommy.  Thursday is playgroup day, where I can connect with friends, play with the kids at a park and let my Mommy role take over my life.  I can have the house picked up when Bean gets home from work and be ready to start dinner. 

I love Thursdays.

But I don't.

Because I'm tired.  So tired.  My kids are tired.  So we are all grumpy.  They've been on the go the past three days too.  They have so much fun with Grandmas and Aunts while I'm working, but they need downtime at home too. 

I don't like Thusdays because the clutter has piled up in the house.  There is a good chance we haven't vacuumed in three days.  There is usually clean laundry that's been waiting to be put away for two days, and dirty laundry that needs to be washed and put away.  We're almost out of cereal, and we need bananas.

There are errands I need to catch up on.  Like getting Miss Rose the right size of swimsuit.  Buying a bathmat because after being grossed out by ours for months, Bean finally just threw it away to force us to get a new one.  I need a new pillow.  I go through one every few months.  I know, it's odd.  I need to buy two birthday gifts for parties on Saturday.  I need a rectangular toy basket for the living room.  I sold a couple things on eBay that need to be shipped.  I have more things to sell and purge.

That's why I don't like Thursdays.

The burden is not my own.  Bean carries the load too, and does everything he can and even more.

But there is this thing in me, this desire to care for my family and keep my home.  I love being in ministry and helping provide for our family.  But, you just can't have the best of both worlds.  The grass is always greener on one side, because there is always something being neglected. 

I read this post of Stephanie's last night, and I love the last part.  I really identify with the sentiments that she expressed.

So far, I don't really like this Thursday.  But hopefully once I give some attention to the neglected parts, the grass will get a little greener on the side I'm standing on today.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0