Saturday, June 5, 2010

all that matters

Today, this was all that mattered.

Holding my sick baby, while we waited for the doctor.  She had a fever and it was naptime, which meant a rare moment where she slept on me.

It didn't matter that I was supposed to be running in a race I've had planned for 6 months.

My baby was sick.  My baby needed me.  That was enough.
{verdict thus far is a virus, still waiting for that fever to disappear though}

Watching my three-year old play with my Grandma's old miniatures.  She had such a great attitude today, when most things centered around her sick sister.

It didn't matter that there were dishes I could do, laundry to wash or stuff to clean up.  There always is.  But there are not always these moments, when I can sit and watch her set up a tea party.


Finally, at the end of the day, it was her turn.  A spontaneous trip to the park, inviting a neighbor.  It was their first playdate, that didn't involve their siblings who also match in age.  After a year of bickering and being threatened by each other, they are finally starting to get along and play together.

It didn't matter that I was tired.  Or that it was close to dinner time and I had no idea what we were going to eat.  It didn't matter that there were still household chores to complete.

She mattered.

It's good to be reminded about what matters.  It was tiring and draining, but I got to do my favorite thing today.  Be a mom.  And it mattered.

**please note, I did not forget that I have an oldest daughter as well.  She happened to spend the night and day with her cousin.  I think she would live with them if I let her.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0