Tuesday, March 16, 2010

16:: How did I do it?

A post in which I give myself kudos.

I think the question "how do you do it" is commonly heard by moms of young children, no matter what their situation is.  I hear it all the time as a working mom of young children.  Other moms who's husbands work long hours, who's husbands work 24-hour shifts, who juggle homeschooling, and many other challenges in life, are awe-inspiring.

My own mom asks me that question.  A woman who, although she didn't work, had her first three children in the same timespan as mine, who's husband work long hours and often multiple jobs.

My mother-in-law asks me that question.  A woman who raised her sons on her own from the time they were 6 and 8, and the support she got in the years prior to that was minimal. 

Today, while Bean took Miss Rose to t-ball practice, I decided to go for a run with the little girls in the double jogger.  I don't run much with the jogger anymore.  Because I can run in my neighborhood, usually Bean sends me out on my own since I'll be back in not too long. 

I used to run 3-4 times a week with Gracie and Miss Rose in the double jogger for 40-45 minutes.  I did it without thinking.  I needed to run for my sanity and I enjoyed staying in shape, so I just did it.  I ran with them in the jogger well into my pregnancy with Lily.  Miss Rose hasn't been small since she was about 6 months old, and calculating in the stroller, I was pushing close to 100lbs.

Pushing the jogger today was no joke.  I definitely couldn't go as fast as I do on my own.  My jogger is awesome and pushes so easily.  But still, it's a whole other thing than running on your own.  I can't believe I used to do this 3-4 times a week.  I almost can't imagine it now.

I thought to myself, "how did I do it?"  And I was reminded, when you want to, when you need to, when you have to, you just do.  When it's important enough to you, you make things happen. 

This is a good thing!  And once you move past that part of your life, you look back and wonder how you did it. 

So, kudos to me, for running with that double jogger so much a few years ago.  If I need to do it more often, I know I can.  And I just may be doing that this summer! 

What do you need to give yourself kudos for?
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0