Friday, February 26, 2010

March Madness

That time of year is coming again, when college basketball teams duke it out for  a spot in the sweet sixteen, the final four and finally the NCAA championship.  Can you tell I'm married to a sports fanatic?  Last year I learned there are names for the 64  & the 32, but I can't remember them right now.  THIS is March Madness.  A term I think I only learned or at least was able to define after marriage.

For no other reason than it's March, and I'm going to make some maddening alterations to my life--I've decided to do my own version of March Madness here at Our Three Bean Circus.  Do you think it's catchy?  Well, I kind of do.  And it's my blog so that's all that matters!

What is my version of March Madness?  Here's the skinny.

1.  Cut back majorly on processed foods and sugar.  Especially sugar.  No treats, desserts or snacks of the processed sugary variety.

2.  Exercise more regularly

3.  Blog daily (or at least schedule blogs!)

4.  Focus on enjoying the moment, finding joy and rejoicing in each day.

Here's the full scoop.

I've been talking about my food issues recently.  Sugar plays a huge role in that.  I'm very sensitive to what I eat.  Unfortunately it's a genetic thing.  I feel so much better when I eat well.  And I don't really know how to practice moderation.

Which is exactly why I've said majorly.  I don't want to set myself up for failure, so 100% is not my goal.  And while I do want to make this more of a lifestyle change, I want to find balance and moderation. 

Exercise...that goes along with feeling good.  Although I do get a couple exercise sessions in each week, I could do more.  I often make excuses about being tired or just done with the day.  Which is often true, but in reality I could eek out a few miles or do a short video.  I know Shredding at 7:30pm, once the kids are in bed, can make a big different in how I feel.  I'm trying to add some free weights, ab work and maybe some leg work to my evenings when the TV is on.

Blog daily.  I want the accountability.  I want to chronicle daily life more closely for a month.  I want to write more of what I think.  Sometimes I wish posts would write themselves!

Enjoy the moment.  I think if I was present in more moments in my life, life wouldn't catch up with me so quickly.  Sometimes I look too much at the big picture.  I focus on what I'm missing by not being home with the girls each day.  I focus on the clutter, the unfinished decorating, the "projects."  If I were present I would laugh with my girls, I would get on the floor and play more, I would see more of what God is doing.

This, is my own March Madness. 

If you'd like, you're welcome to steal the idea.  What do you need to get maddening about?
*I do realize I'm not using that term in quite the right way, but it's artistic license, okay?
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0