Sunday, July 11, 2010

my best run EVER!

I am pretty sure I just completed my best run ever!  I didn't set out to break any records or log a personal best.  It just happened.

Tonight I ran 5 miles in 45:17, which translates to a 9:02 average pace.  Thus far, my fastest average pace for up to 6 miles has been about 9:15. 

I never feel great my first 1-2 miles.  But then I seem to find my groove and start plugging along.  I knew I was pushing myself a bit and every so often I would ease up a bit, but then I just felt like getting right back to it.  So I did.

I left the house around 7:30pm, so the sun was setting and it was cooling off.  Once I worked up a good sweat I was the perfect temperature.  I ate fairly well today, plenty of protein which I'm finding is crucial to my body.  I took care to hydrate well all day.

Usually at the end of the run, I feel like I have more gas, that I could push it a bit further.  I almost always sprint the last several hundred feet of a run.  Tonight, as I was sprinting to the end my legs felt like they were going to fall off and my lungs were burning.  I really had to push until that lovely Nike+ voice told me I was done.  Oh was I ever happy to hear her! 

I learned tonight that I can push myself a bit harder, that I need to when I'm looking for a good workout.  I learned I am capable of more.  I don't know why, but I love shaving just a few seconds off my times.  A lot of training schedules call for "easy" runs.  I'm not too good at easy runs.  Even when I try for an "easy" run, I still end up pushing myself.  Because I like it.

I have been running for about 5 years now.

I love it more every day.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0