Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fit Friday: me+protein

For a few weeks now I've been paying a lot less attention to calories and dieting and not stressing over what I eat or don't eat.

That doesn't mean I've been letting myself go though.  I want to lose these last few pounds via healthy life habits.  But I knew I was lacking balance and it was making me binge on junk.  It's been very refreshing to not track every calorie or point.  To not beat myself up if I eat a bowl of ice cream or yummy Mexican food.

Recently, I've been trying to incorporate more protein into my diet.  Someone close to me lost those last baby pounds with the Belly Fat Cure and is maintaining her loss by following the same concept most of the time.  Because I don't have quite that discipline and because I run so much, I didn't think that diet was a good choice for me.  In fact I did try it for a few days I ended up feeling like complete junk.  Maybe it was detox.

I also liked the basic concepts in  Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels.  Her diet suggestion is pretty protein-rich also, but incorporates whole grains and some fruits and vegetables also.  There is a great meal plan in the book.  For each meal there are several items listed to start with, and then you choose one other item to compliment it.  I made several photocopies and I have one at work, one in my purse, another in a kitchen cupboard.

For the most part I've been trying to utilize Jillian's plan.  There are enough foods on the list that I like that make it not too hard.

Protein is not my favorite thing to eat.  I do like eating it some.  My husband grills great chicken and steak and we also love carne asada.  But when it comes to other meals, I will usually choose other items first.

However, like all the books say, I'm find that a protein-rich diet really decreases my appetite.  And my waistline.  I'm not doing the Atkins style--tons of bacon, eggs, butter and fatty proteins.

Here are some examples of what I'm eating.

Breakfast
2 eggs + 1 piece of whole wheat toast
1/2 to 1 cup of Greek Yogurt with blueberries and a dash of honey
Steel cut oatmeal
Cottage Cheese
Toast with peanut butter

I almost always have coffee with cream and sugar though.  A girl can't give up everything!

Lunch
Chicken or fish with 1/2 c. brown rice
Black Beans and brown rice


Dinner
Chicken, fish, beef and veggies

Snacks are cheese, tortilla chips, apples, berries, nuts.

Jillian wants you to avoid any carbs at dinner because it's supposed to be better for fat burn during the night.  I'm not usually perfect here, but I try!

Most every day I eat something that isn't on the plan, whether it's a candy bar or No Pudge Brownie.  In my opinion, Jillian's plan is a bit low on calories for someone who exercises a lot. 

So far I haven't been too successful in following this plan for multiple days in a row.  Right now, I'm waiting for payday so I can go shopping because we have no meat or eggs.  Well, if I really wanted to go buy some I could, but I've just been waiting.

But for me, this has been a huge step in the right direction.  Give it a try!  Even if you simply add protein to your diet (especially the first part of the day) you may find yourself with less of an appetite and craving less sugar.

Now, not WANTING to eat it, that's a whole other topic.  Because often my head and taste buds tell me I want something sweet.  But it's not my body craving it like it was and that's a good thing.

p.s. I don't want to share it in a public forum, but if you know me and can email me--I'll send you a copy of the basic meal plan from Jillian's book.  If you don't know me...just check it out from your library.  Much easier than buying it!
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0