Sunday, May 2, 2010

It just is

Our bodies were made for physial activity.  After Adam and Eve sinned, God told Adam that he would toil and sweat for the rest of his life.  Most of humanity has had to work in agriculture and still does. 

But through so many changes in culture and technology, many of us don't have that necessity.  We work desk jobs.  We drive places.  We don't have to use our bodies for nearly as much as they were created to.

There are countless articles citing research that physical activity has tremendous positive effects on all parts of life, not just our bodies.  Just Google it, or pick up a health magazine and you'll read about it.  But, we tend to focus only on the physical benefits--losing weight, gaining muscle, achieving fitness goals.  And exercise becomes a chore, one that's easily put off.


It's Sunday night, and we're planning our week.  I'm thinking through Monday.  And figuring out how and when I'm going to exercise.  I try not to see it as optional.  Are there other things I could do with my time?  Of course.

But my body was made for physical activity.  And I need it. I need it to be happy.  I need it to have patience with my kids.  I need it to feel strong.  I need it to clear my mind.  To feel connected with God.  I've learned that I'm a better, happier person when I have regular physical activity.

Right now, "regular" means about three times a week.  If I could manage to wake up early a few mornings a week, it would be more.  But most of the time, I can't. But three times is good.

Ideally, I'd love to exercise for 45-60minutes.  Usually it's more like 30.

Running.  It just is something I do.  I don't make time for it, I just have time for it. 

I'm already happier, just thinking about running after work tomorrow.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0