Monday, November 15, 2010

I ran my heart out

This was a good weekend.  I achieved two goals, realized two dreams in my life.

I taught my first course.  The whole reason I went to seminary for my Master's degree was because I had an interest in teaching at the college level.  But things like marriage, jobs and babies have put goals like that on the back burner.

Our church recently began hosting a School of Ministry for those seeking ministers credentials.  I taught the first of a two-part Old Testament class.  I love the Old Testament and I loved teaching this class.  I've had some incredible, intelligent professors (as in: one's name is in many NIV Bible's).  Compared to them, I know so little.  But I have the heart for it.  And I think I was able to stir the student's hearts as well, and that was my goal. 

And of course, the update you've been perhaps waiting for.

I ran the race.  And for me, I ran it really well.  And I'm really happy and proud.

When I crossed the finish line, the clock read 2:12.  I knew it had taken me a few minutes to cross the start, so I was anxiously awaiting the chip results.  And they read:

2:12:21 2:09:25 9:53
I ran13.1 miles in less than 2 hours and 10 minutes and I my average pace was UNDER ten minutes an hour.  This is a BIG deal for me people.  That 10-minute mile has been a wall I couldn't break for a few years now. 

But I couldn't have done it by myself.  So, here are some shout-outs.

To my husband who has endured my 5:30am wake-ups for months now.  I know you rarely go back to sleep after I get up, but you never complain.  And you put up with me taking a few hours out of our only family day to run double-digit miles.

To my children, who don't like when mommy leaves on Saturday mornings, but are good sports.

To my sister, who invited me to go running for the first time 6 years ago.

To my high school friend, who I haven't seen since high school, but had her mom deliver her old treadmill to my house, when I put a silly plea out on Facebook (not thinking I'd get a response)

To my friend, who helps me find and get the right shoes.

To the Shredheads and those who Run Like A Mother for always inspiring me to be like you.

To the many blogs I follow written by running moms.


To the friends and family who registered for the race too.  It was a blast to see you before, during and after the race.  Let's do it again soon.

To the guy with spikey hair and the girl with the blonde ponytail who were my muses during the race.  I don't know you, but I got to know your backs pretty well.  I liked your pace and tried to stick with you.  I'd lose you, but then I'd speed up and find you again.  And when I had to stop at mile 10 and use the bathroom, my whole goal was to catch up to you again.  Which I did, and I finished right behind you.

Thank you.

I ran my heart out.  And almost ran my legs off too, judging by how I'm hobbling around today.  My blister got bigger (I think I'm going to have to drain it).  And I almost ran my toenail off.  Gracie finished the job tonight by pouncing on my foot.  My toenail was seriously hanging by two threads of skin, which I cut off.  Bloody mess, but not gushing.

I'm still so tired today.  But it was oh so worth it!

(yes, this photo is a microcosm of my life.  no child actually smiling at the camera.)
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0