Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fit Friday: you are what you eat

Well, that's not exactly what I'm going to write about, but at 10pm at night, it's the most creative thing I can come up with!  I'm not going to be long-winded today.  I was looking back at previous Fit Friday posts and man I love to write long.

A local trainer shared this today on Facebook.

To keep Holiday pounds at bay... "Eat like a king for breakfast, a queen for lunch & a starving college student for dinner. 

Basically saying--eat a big breakfast, a medium lunch and a light dinner.

I don't know about you, but that's kind of opposite of my instincts and habits.  I want to eat a lighter breakfast so that I have as many calories left for later in the day.  Lunch is usually quick, while I'm working at my desk or while I'm rushing to feed the kids.  Dinner and late night is when I'm more relaxed and have more time to enjoy food.


But these last several months, I have realized the truth to the above statement.


When I eat more during the first part of the day, I am noticeably less hungry later in the day.  On Tuesdays I eat lunch out with my co-workers.  I do my best to choose items that are reasonable in calories and nutrition, but it's usually still a "big" lunch.  And on Tuesday nights, I'm rarely very hungry for dinner.  In fact, often I don't eat a full dinner--just something light.


If I have protein as part of my breakfast (eggs, plain yogurt or cottage cheese) I don't get hungry until lunch.  Protein is a must for lunch too, or else I'll eat my way through the afternoon.


My goal during the holidays is always to maintain my weight.  I don't deny myself holiday foods or meals.  I'm sure I'll eat seconds (or thirds) of desserts and things I don't always indulge in.  Life and the holidays are for enjoying and I have no desire to deprive myself.

When I know there is a special meal or event coming up, I make a point to eat well the rest of the day.  Dinner out isn't a reason to eat crappy the other meals of the day.  



Let me clarify though, I don't eat great 100% of the time.  Maybe not even 75%.  That's one reason why I love running--it counteracts the handfuls of kettlecorn I ate today, or the dips into the kids candy yesterday.  I eat a donut about once a week and Bean usually talks me into ice cream one night a week.  When I bake something (which I love to do) I'm in big trouble, because I love homebaked goods!


We should enjoy life.  Which means enjoying food.  But not to the detriment of our health.  Because giving our bodies the nutrition and activities they need is enjoyable too.


What's your plan for making it to the holidays without losing the ground you may have gained in 2010??

blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0