Friday, November 19, 2010

Fit Friday: Race Wrap-up

I promise, this is the last time I will blog about this race!  Obviously, it's been pretty consuming--in a good way.  Just a few more things I want to process, and then I'm moving on!

I realized through this process that there is a lot of science and wisdom behind training schedules.  As I've said before, this was the first time I'd followed a training schedule.  For my birthday in June, Bean got me a subscription to Runner's World.  One of the first issues I got was all about Half Marathon's.  One article had several training schedules based on specific time goals.  I chose to do the training schedule for a two-hour half.  I felt that it was good goal because my typical pace was similar what I run.

I feel like the training schedule played a huge part in my ultimate time.  I knew from my speed days and tempo runs that I could run 8 and 9 minute miles.  I learned what my body felt like at different paces, which helped me gauge where I was at during the race.  Especially after I did my 13 mile training run.  It wasn't the greatest run and so I knew I could finish the half marathon in less time.

I haven't been able to run all week though, which has killed me!  My toe is very tender and I haven't want to subject it to shoes yet.  I think I may give it a try tomorrow.  My body and soul are aching to run.  I miss sweating.  This experience makes me thankful I haven't sustained any major injuries while running.

Up next, I want to keep running but also work on strength and toning. This takes much more discipline for me.  I have a three month membership to 24-Hour fitness that I can activate at any time.  I also have several boot camp sessions I've bought at major discounts, so those will help too.  I think strengthening my upper body and core will help me perform better in running--and feel better too!

Miss Rose is dying to play some computer games, so I'm done here for now! 

Happy Fitness!
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0