Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fit Friday rides again

I'm back!!!  I may ramble a bit, but I'm gonna post about fitness for the first time in a few weeks.

I've mentioned it before, but this is the first time I've ever followed a race training program.  It's my fourth half marathon however.  The furthest I'd run before my first half marathon was under 6 miles.

I'm learning some stuff about running and myself in this process.

1.  Missing a scheduled run is painful.  "It's on the paper, so I must do it."  That's the mentality I've discovered I have.  Missing a day of planned exercise hasn't ever been that big of a deal to me.  Especially since my life is full and unpredictable.  But missing a day of training rattles in my brain until my next run.  It grates on my nerves.  Overall, I'm doing really well in my training.  I may miss a short run here and there, but I've only missed one long run.  I know it's not that big of a deal.  But it's been interesting.

2.  Training makes me hungry.  It's not so much the individual runs, but it's the accumulation of them.   For instance, this week I ran Monday, Wednesday and today.  A total of 14 miles.  And I just can't get full today.  I'd been hoping to take advantage of the calorie burning and lose a few more inches around the belly--but it's not worth it enough for me to go that hungry.  I could, but I just don't want to.  I do feel a difference in my body as a result of all the running, which is enough for now.  (um, it's 9pm and I could eat a lot more.)

3.  Morning running is becoming more addicting.  It's just my only sure run.  Tuesday I was supposed to run three miles.  But Lily ended up in bed with us and my sleep was a little disrupted.  I thought--it's 3 miles, I can do that this evening.  But then Gracie came down with a stomach bug.  And I had to come home early from work.  And Bean had to work late.  And I had a sick toddler and a cranky baby.  And by the time everyone was in bed, I was exhausted.  And I was wishing I had run in the morning.  I was off work today.  But I still was on the treadmill at 6am for my 4 miles.  I knew I would enjoy the rest of the day so much more not worrying about when to get my run in.

4.  I'm trying to kick Diet Coke again.  For reals.  For good.  I've gone without at several points in my life, but it always comes back.  I blame my parents for drinking gobs of it while I was growing up.  I blame my college for having it on tap in the cafeteria and giving me a huge mug to take out of the cafe.  At that point in life I didn't drink much coffee, and so Diet Coke was often my breakfast beverage.  My goal right now is every other day.  I'm craving it less.  It honestly doesn't taste all that good to me anymore.  But there is something about the cold, sweet (although I taste the fake sweet) bubbles.  It's not the caffeine I have issue with.  It's the chemicals and aspertame.  And my kids are already intrigued by it, which I don't like.  I don't want to pass this on to them.

5.  There are other listening options while running besides music.  I have some downloaded audio books and I decided to give a try to listening while running.  I don't know how it would be to listen while street running, but I'm enjoying the change up when I'm on the treadmill.  My favorite by FAR is Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff.  He reads the book, and the material as well as his delivery is pure genius.  Don't listen (or read) though if you don't want your cozy little Christian world rocked.  I'll probably post on that at a later time.  I have a couple more books (all I've downloaded for free here.)

6.  I can see myself becoming more and more of a runner.  If I can find a partner or be brave enough, I can see myself running at o'dark-thirty in the morning.  I can see myself training and completing half marathons and marathons.  I LOVE my Runner's World Magazine.  I'm a routine-oriented person who likes having a plan and being organized.  I'm not super anal about it, but that's how I function best. 

A recent article I read in Runner's World opened with this line: "Runners live by the clock."  Something clicked when I read that.  I think that's a big part of why I thrive on running.  It requires routine and discipline.  There are schedules and plans.  I can use my Nike+ to gauge my pace, distance, time. 

The only way I survive life as a working mom with young kids is to plan.  Things may not always go according to plan, but it helps my frame of mind to at least have one.  Running fits perfectly into this way of living.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0