Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fit Friday

It's important that fitness is a part of life.  But it can't be your life.  Unless you are a professional athlete, you know.

I love to run and be active.  Many think I'm crazy for all the running I do (which isn't really that much compared to some).  But, actually running is what keeps me sane.  I read this on Twitter recently:

@bookieboo "Thank God I worked out today. If I hadn't, I would be in tears from all the stress. Sweat is my sanity." 

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement!! It feels a bit insane to wake up early on what will be a full long day, to get a run in.  But when I'm driving home from work, to 3 small children and my husband, it feels SO good to know I already logged my miles for the day.

I also love this status I read on Facebook"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run." 

When I'm feeling down, anxious or overwhelmed--a few miles goes a long way in helping me not hit the bottom.  There have been many times I've told Bean, "I'm starting to spiral downward; I think I need to run."

At the same time, life is life.  And sometimes getting activity in isn't so easy.  Or you're just really tired.  

As much as I love running, sometimes I have to cut myself some slack.  This is one of those weeks.  Sleeping in (as much as the kids let me) and not trying to wedge a run in is more important.  I don't really like giving myself slack.  But sometimes I need to.

But I know that running is now in my blood and barring any huge injury, I don't ever think it's leaving.  This week may be a low mileage one, but I'll be back to hitting the treadmill and the streets in a few days I'm sure.

So, where are you at on your fitness journey?  Has activity become a necessity in your life?  Do you notice a positive effect on your mental and emotional state?  Are you good at giving yourself slack when you need it?



blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0