Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fit Friday: when fitness doesn't happen

If you've been following me on Twitter or read my blog a few days ago, this has been a crazy week.

We received a grant from the housing commission to do some upgrades on our home.  It's a huge blessing since we are getting new windows (to replace the originals from 1954), new countertops and a new sink, new tile in the bathroom, some new doors and more. 

But due to lead content in old paint, we had to move out for a week.  We've known for a few months this was coming, but there is only so much prep you can do.  We've been staying in a 2-bedroom apartment with my mother-in-law.  She has been so gracious and a wonderful hostess.  But it's a 2-bedroom apartment.

We've also had several evening events and commitments this week.  Along with Bean working two evenings.

There hasn't been a lot of exercise happening.  Not for lack of desire, because with all the stress it's been the thing I wanted most.  But I can't get up early and run on the treadmill nor can I do a DVD because it's a 2nd story and even walking across the floor is noisy.

There has been a lot of less than healthy eating.  Part of the deal is that we got a food allowance for the time away from our home.  Which is great because we've just bought convenience foods and eaten out as necessary.  But I happen to like eating my "boring" foods that I eat every week.

Fitness has not been happening.  I'm not even going to get on the scale for a few weeks.  My body feels ok, but I'm sure I've gained a bit just from the abnormal diet.  Which means once I'm back to my normal diet, the few pounds will drop off.

There are times in life, that fitness and healthy eating are next to impossible.  Yes, I could have made some different decisions about my food, but it was better for my state of mind to just go with ease. 

As long as everything goes according to plan, we'll be back in our house tomorrow night.  We have a lot of settling to do since a lot of furniture had to be moved, counters cleared etc.  But we'll be home.  In our own beds.  In our own rooms.  With the kids having their own toys.

I WILL be back to fitness next week.  I will get up early to run (even though I've slacked off a bit with the early mornings).  I will eat my fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean protein.  Oh, it sounds so refreshing just writing about it.

Unless you are a professional athlete, times like these are going to happen.

The key though, is to love your healthy routines enough (which means establishing ones that you love) that you are excited to get back to them.

Crazy as it is, I look forward to that 5:30am alarm on Monday, the concrete floor of the garage, the old creaky treadmill (thanks Sandra, I'm giving it lots of love!) and sweating out this past week.

How do you get back on track after a difficult week?
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0