Thursday, December 9, 2010

fit friday: holiday

The holidays are upon us!  Christmas is just two weeks away now.  Parties, events and holiday cheer are in full effect!  Co-workers are bringing in baked goods.  Schedules are full, meaning life is hectic and nutritious eating and exercise are not always on the top of your priority list.

We all know how easy it is to gain weight during the holidays.  Even just a few pounds can have a great impact on how you feel both in self-esteem and physically. 

My goal is usually to maintain my weight during the holidays.  If I have a losing goal (which it seems like I always do, because I'm always above my ideal weight) I put it on the back burner.  You'd think with all the running I did for my half marathon, I would have lost several pounds.  But if you've ever watched the Biggest Loser Marathon episode, those who train hardest usually lose the least weight.  I'm okay with that.  I am proud of my half marathon accomplishment and I have no regrets.

There is one very easy method I use to attempt to maintain my weight.  It's easy, but it does take discipline.

I do my best to eat normal and nutritiously for as many meals as possible each day/week etc.  I eat my oatmeal or cottage cheese like always in the morning.  Basic lunches and balanced dinners; healthy snacks.

When an event or special food comes along, I will indulge a bit.  I try not to overeat in these instances, but I enjoy the food.  I enjoyed tri-tip, mashed potatoes, Caesar salad and pumpkin mousse at a dinner on Monday.  I ate some pumpkin cake on Wednesday.  Today was a "normal" day.  I ate well today and I ran.

I feel like this approach is balanced.  It works for me because if I deny myself too much, I'll over-indulge.  And if I don't stick to my normal foods as much as possible, I'll eat way too much!

That's how I deal with all the extra calories at the holidays.  How do you do it?
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0