Sunday, January 17, 2010

boots & bling

Mommy bling seems to be one of the latest fads.  Several years ago we got a Grandmother's Necklace for my mother-in-law which had the birthstones of her sons, daughter-in-laws and grandkids.  There have been 3 more grandkids born since we gave it to her. Two were born in months that already had birthdays--but the last baby wasn't.  Not sure what we'll do about that!

Anyhow, I've had my eye on various mommy bling for a while now.  When I shop for something important, I take FOREVER.  And I often buy stuff, take it back and buy something different.

For instance, poor Bean.  I wanted boots for Christmas.  I had a particular style in mind.  He tried to find them, but wasn't successful.  So he got me a gift card to the store I had seen the style of boots in a few months prior.  Of course by the time I went shopping a week after Christmas--everyone has all their boots on sale and so sizes and styles are limited.  The store I had the gift card to, had nothing that interested me.  And they were all a size 6 or size 10.  Of which I am neither.

Bean, being the wonderful husband he is, said we'll use the gift card for someone else--just find boots.  So I found pair #1, which were similar to the style I really wanted.  But then I found my ultimate boot online.  So I ordered them, pair #2.  I liked them, but the were too big.  So both pairs had to go back and I re-ordered a smaller size.  (Bean took them both back--whattaguy).  I finally got the 3rd pair a few days ago.  And at first I thought they'd be a bust because they were now too tight in the calf.  I'm cursed with calves.  They aren't really fat, maybe muscular, but just thick.  Both my sisters & my mom have the same issue.  But this morning I decided to wear them around the house with my cute new skinny jeans--and I decided they were okay. Whew.  Luckily they are "scrunchy boots" so they are just a bit more scrunched on me than on others.

See, it's not easy for me to make decisions about things that are costly or I will have for a long time.  I don't spend lots of money on just one item often, so when I do I really want it to count and I want to make sure I get exactly what I want.  So, maybe I'm a bit of a high maintenance shopper.  But it also means I don't have expensive unused items in my closet or drawers!

So, back to mommy bling.  I'm all about simplicity when it comes to jewelry.  When Bean and I were talking about getting engaged, I was concerned that if my diamond was too big I would bang it around too much.  Seriously, what girl doesn't want "too big" of a diamond?  I'm not normal.  My ring is just right though!  Bean made sure the diamond was set low on the band.  I have a few necklaces that I wear, that have just one small charm on them.  I wear the same earrings 365 days a year.  Small silver studs in the top hole and small silver hoops in the bottom.  When I'm feeling crazy, I might wear one of the other 5 pairs of "fancy " earrings I own--which are just small dangly ones.

I love the simplicity of the latest in mommy jewelry.  Not to fancy or sparkly.  Sensible chains, but personalized with meaning.  This, I can do!

In my purusing, I always come back to two designers.  Who both happen to have giveways going right now.  Is it okay to blog about two giveways in one blog, in hopes of winning one of them?  Hopefully it is, because I am!  (It's also a great heads up to a certain someone for a potential Mother's Day/Birthday gift!)

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry is giving away a gift certificate to The Vintage Pearl.  Honestly, it's hard to pick a favorite (see above boot story). 

I like the layered mother of pearl, dainty names and layered circle of love.

Lisa Leonard is hosting her own giveway to her illuminate necklace.  I also really like her heartstrings necklace

Which ones do you like??  Go enter one or both giveaways.  You need some mommy bling too.  Even if you aren't a mommy, you can choose to honor any person or passion in your life.

3 comments:

  1. I love the dainty names necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way! I didn't want a big diamond for my engagement ring and Brian even said "you don't have to impress me anymore. You can get a bigger diamond." :D I wear the same necklace everyday. But those do look so beautiful (and sentimental). can't wait to hear which one you choose :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reference to your Mommy Bling post- Check out Act II- New Jewelry for $1 !!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I'd love for you to check out my new blog at www.embracethisday.com

Swidget 1.0