Friday, September 3, 2010

Fit Friday: Time to get serious

I have run three half marathons. 

In 2006 I ran the OC Half.  I think it was the first or second year of the race.  The course was a bit boring at times, but finishing it was a huge sense of exhilaration and accomplishment.  I had been a mom for two years at that point and it felt incredible to do something like that just for myself.  I don't exactly remember my time.  I think it was between 2:30 & 2:45. 

The furthest I had run prior to the race was 5 miles.  The first half of the race I stuck with a friend and my youngest sister and we did run/walk intervals.  The second half I took off on my own and did more running.  I didn't push myself much because of my lack of training.  I just wanted to finish.

I ran my second half marathon in 2007.  That too was a huge accomplishment for me.  Gracie was just 6 months old.  I road-tripped to San Francisco for the Nike Women's Half with my two sisters and my sister-in-law, who had a 9 month old.  One sister watched the babies while the other three of us raced.  She may have had the harder task that morning!  That race felt awesome--running in San Fran, running some huge hills--all while being a nursing mom to a young baby. I think our time was just around 2:30. 

My third half marathon was just last fall in Long Beach with my "middle" sister.  I trained decently for it, but probably never ran over 7 miles.  My biggest goal was to help my sister keep going and get a good time.  She always has more in her than she thinks she does!  Again my time was around 2:30.

I've yet to run a half though, with full training and just for myself.  I'm registered for my 4th half marathon in November.  My first local race.  I'm looking forward to my hubby and kids waiting for me at the finish line.  The course is pretty straight and flat--great for making a personal record.

Based on some recent run times, I should be able to finish the race in under 2:15.  I think I should be able to get pretty close to 2:00.  So, there you have my realistic and my optimistic goals! 

Mostly though, I just want to train properly.  I have all the tools I need.  A neighborhood I can run in, a double jogger, a treadmill in my garage.  What I sometimes lack is the discipline to wake early to get my runs in.

This summer, I've enjoyed being able to run early before Bean leaves, which was about a 6am wake-up for me.  With school starting next week, we're going to have to leave the house earlier again.  Which means waking at 5:30 some mornings.  It also means waking early on Saturdays for long runs.  When I do it, I'm so happy I did.

The last few weeks I've been slacking a bit, which maybe I needed.  I've been staying up late reading, so even when I set my alarm, I just stay in bed.  That long run on Saturday is the biggest challenge.  It's our only morning home together as a family.  If I get up and run at 6am, I should be done by 8am most weeks.  I just gotta do it!!

I have a couple good training schedules.  The main one I plan to follow begins next Monday, for 10 weeks.  It's time to get serious and log those miles. 

Are you thinking about training for a race?  Here's a great way to personalize your training based on recent runs, how long you want to train for, which day you want to do your long run etc.  The SmartCoach from Runner's World.  I have the app on my iPhone but you can do it on their website as well and have it emailed to you for printing.  I also have a training plan I cut out from a recent Runner's World mag on running a 2hr half marathon. 

I'll report back next week and let you know how my first week of training is going.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Swidget 1.0